The following information comes directly from the SHOP section of Healthcare.gov. There are 9 SHOP plans available in Louisiana (and hundreds of other small group options). We would be happy to show them all to you. Employers with lower-paid employees in particular will have the most to gain by choosing SHOP plans. But, there are also other situations that make SHOP a potentially attractive option. Please take a look and let us know if you need any help evaluating your options.
The Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace is for small employers who want to provide health and dental insurance to their employees — affordably, flexibly, and conveniently.
To use the SHOP Marketplace, your business or non-profit organization must have 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTEs).
You don’t have to wait for an open enrollment period. You can start offering SHOP insurance to your employees any time of year.
FYI: Self-employed with no employees?Visit the Health Insurance Marketplace for Individuals & Families. The SHOP Marketplace is for business with at least one full-time equivalent (FTE) employee other than owners, partners, or family members. Learn about coverage if you’re self-employed.
5 reasons to use the SHOP Marketplace to offer employee insurance
- The SHOP Marketplace offers high-quality plans from private insurance companies.
- You have choice and flexibility. You can:
- Offer your employees one plan, or let them choose from multiple plans
- Offer only health coverage, health and dental coverage, or only dental coverage
- Choose how much you pay toward your employees’ premiums, and whether to offer coverage to their dependents
- Decide how long your employees’ initial enrollment period is, and how long new employees must wait before joining the plan
- You can handle everything online — applying, choosing plans, managing your coverage, and paying your premiums — whenever it’s convenient for you.
- You can use your current agent or broker, work with any SHOP-registered agent or broker, or handle everything yourself. Our agency is an approved Marketplace broker.
- If you have fewer than 25 employees, you may qualify for a Small Business Health Care Tax Credit worth up to 50% of your premium costs.
Next steps to offer SHOP health insurance
- Ready to create a HealthCare.gov account? Start here. After you create an account, you’ll start an application.
- See SHOP plans and prices before logging in.
- See if your business qualifies to offer SHOP Marketplace insurance.
- See if you qualify for the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit.
- See all SHOP Marketplace tools, calculators, fact sheets, how-to guides, videos, and other resources for employers.
- Contact our SHOP Call Center at 1-800-410-8140 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT.
- Register for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s regular “Affordable Care Act 101” webinars.