Today marks the 14th anniversary for my agency. This has always been a great day for me to reflect (and prank family/employees for April Fools).
Since 2001, we have lived through enormous change. Back then, my wife and I were still eligible to be on the Newlywed Game (under 2 years married) and we had no kids. Since then, we have had 3 wonderful children and lived in 4 different houses (not counting the temporary evacuation spots). We have also seen 3 Presidential Elections, 9/11, Katrina, BP and the Affordable Care Act. Reviewing where we have been and what we have endured gives me a tremendous amount of optimism for the future.
Looking back on the year 2001. . .
- Saints head coach Jim Haslett, drafts Deuce McAllister and Aaron Brooks is the starting quarterback.
- Netflix breaks new ground and disrupts the movie rental business by delivering CD’s in the mail!!!
- Enron was rated the most innovative large company in America in Fortune’s Most Admired Companies survey and had a market cap of $60B.
- Google is awarded a patent, number 6,285,999, for the Page Rank search algorithm used in the Google search engine. Now, it has a market capitalization of $371,000,000,000 (that’s Billion) and I cant’ find my way anywhere without their maps.
- Apple Computer releases the iPod – back when all it could do was play music and well before iPhones
- The National Debt was ONLY $5,807,463,412,200.06. Now, it is $17,824,071,380,733.82.
- DJIA closed at 9,878 April 1st 2001 (10 years before, it was 2,881 – today , it is 17,627), and
- Hartwig Moss Benefits (now HM Benefits, LLC – doing business as Benefit Administration Group) was born as a joint venture between me and HMIA.
Shockingly, companies like Facebook (2004) and Uber (2009) had not been formed yet.
I truly appreciate the continued support from our clients, team members, colleagues and carrier partners. We could never have made it without you all. I look forward to the next 14 years of growth and change!